Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Vegan/gluten-free soup and fruit crumble noms

Last night I made pumpkin soup for dinner and I thought I'd share the recipe because it was soooo yummy! We've just eaten the rest of it for tonight's dinner, Charlotte ate a huge bowl of it and said it was "the best dinner ever" :P she didn't even eat her toast - which she normally dunks into soup before telling me her "belly is full".

So here's how I made it! (I didn't take a photo, but I bet you can imagine what pumpkin soup looks like, hehe).

Vegan "creamy" pumpkin soup

* 1 small brown onion, quartered
* Olive oil
* 1 teaspoon raw sugar
* Half a butternut pumpkin, cubed
* 2 large potatoes, cubed
* Massels "chicken" stock (vegan), to cover
* Half a can of coconut cream

- Cook onions in oil until soft, then sprinkle the sugar over the top and brown.
- Put the pumpkin and potato in and stir
- Pour stock over, until vegetables are 'just' covered
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20+ minutes
- Puree (I used a stick mixer) and mix in the coconut cream while the soup is hot
- NOM!

Alternatively you could roast the pumpkin and potato beforehand, it intensifies the flavours a lot, I always forget and run out of time!

After our soup I made some dessert, I didn't want something too calorie heavy so I settled for some stewed apple and rhubard with a "crumble" over the top.
Here's how I made it:

Vegan apple and rhubarb "crumble"


Fruit:
* 3 stalks of rhubarb (an average bunch)
* 2 small apples (with skins, you could peel them)
* 2 teaspoons Stevia (or sugar)

"Crumble"
* 50g flaked almonds
* Dessicated coconut
* Raw sugar

- Cube the rhubarb and apple and boil with stevia
- Puree when cool (I used a stick mixer)
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- On a flat oven tray lay out flaked almonds, cover with dessicated coconut and sprinkle with raw sugar
- Put in a 200 degree celcius oven for approximately 5 to 10 minutes, watch it! When it's golden brown, pull it out asap!

- Put some puree in a bowl and sprinkle with crumble, yum!! It was delicious! The toasted coconut was especially yummy :)


Have you tried anything new lately?

- Morgan









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...